Car Donation Wizard wants donors to know that donating your motorcycle to charity not only helps the organization fund worthwhile research and activities, but you also may be eligible to claim a tax deduction for your charitable contribution. Here are some motorcycle donation tax tips:
- Make sure the charity is eligible to receive tax deductible contributions. The most common types of qualified organizations are section 501(c)(3) organizations, such as charitable, educational, or religious organizations. Visit IRS.gov to search for registered charities. Car Donation Wizard only works with esteemed, 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.
- Be sure that you get a receipt from the charity for your motorcycle donation. You must obtain a written acknowledgment from the charity if the total deduction you are claiming for a donated motorcycles is $250 or more. Car Donation Wizard emails a tax receipt for your records following the sale of your vehicle.
- The IRS will only allow a deduction for the fair market value of the motorcycle. This can be found on the tax receipt emailed to you for your donation.
- If the motorcycle is worth more than $500, the donor must complete Section A of IRS Form 8283 and attach it to their tax return.
- If the motorcycle is worth $5,000 or more, an independent appraisal is necessary. The donor must also fill out Section B of IRS Form 8283. Take pictures of the motorcycle and save receipts for new tires or other upgrades to verify its value.
- Always consult your tax adviser or the IRS for more information about how you can claim charitable deductions. The IRS can answer your tax questions and can provide tax forms, publications, and other reading materials for further assistance. IRS materials are accessible through the Internet at www.irs.gov, through telephone ordering at (800) 829-3676, and at IRS walk-in offices in many areas across the country.
Still not sure which charity to donate your motorcycle to? Watch our YouTube video that includes ways to avoid vehicle donation scams:
Donate a Motorcycle to Charity
Car Donation Wizard accepts all car donations, trucks, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, trailers, and RV’s. We love to feature donor stories and selfies on our Facebook and Instagram pages. To date, we’ve proudly raised over $200 million for our charity partners. Car Donation Wizard returns 80% of the gross proceeds from each vehicle donated back to the charity – that’s more than any other vehicle donation program can say! Visit us online or call us at 877-957-2277 to get started on your motorcycle donation.