Title Tips

We are Title Wizards, here to help you sign your title correctly and to answer all your questions. We’ve created instructions on how to sign your title in accordance with state requirements. Feel free to call 1-877-957-2277 or email us titles@cardonationwizard.com if you don’t see your question answered below.

Haga clic aquí para ver las instrucciones del título en español.


How do I transfer my title?

In general, when selling or donating a vehicle you must complete the section of the title labeled “Assignment of Title by Owner” or “Transfer of Ownership”. There are typically one or more sections of the title dedicated to dealer reassignments which should be left blank.

In the “Assignment of Title by Owner” or similar section, any fields that require information about the seller/owner/transferer are asking for information about you. When the title asks for the seller’s name you would either print or sign your name exactly as it appears on the title where you are listed as the owner. Most states require that all owners listed on the title must print and sign their name when transferring ownership.

Any fields that require information about a buyer/purchaser/transferee are asking for information about the person you are selling or donating the vehicle to. This section should never, under any circumstances, be left completely blank as this can lead to abuses and liability for you.

How do I obtain a duplicate title?

To apply for a duplicate title, choose your state from the dropdown below:

What documents do I need to donate a car to charity?

Our title specialists can tell you what is required in your state. Most states require that you have a clear title to the vehicle; some states also require a notarized signature to complete the transfer. If you cannot locate or have lost the certificate of title, we can help guide you in the right direction of how to obtain a duplicate title.

How do I obtain a California duplicate title?

If your car was last registered, titled and being picked up in California instead of obtaining a duplicate title (California DMV Form REG227), we have a quicker solution for you. We can accept a Reg 262 and Reg 227 in place of the pink slip. The Reg 262 is a secure form that needs to be obtained at your local DMV or if you call us at 1-877-957-2277 we can mail you one. Together these forms can be used in lieu of a title.

How do I obtain a Washington duplicate title?

If your car was last registered, titled and being picked up in Washington instead of obtaining a duplicate title (Washington Title Replacement Affidavit), we have a quicker solution for you. We can accept an Affidavit in Lieu of Title. This can be obtained at any of your local quick title offices (Washington Quick Title).

What if the vehicle isn’t registered in my name?

The vehicle does not have to be registered in your name. The name on the title and the name on registration documents often differ. Contact our processing center at 1-877-957-2277 for more information.

How do I know my title is a clear, transferable title?

  1. The title must be in your name, with no cross-outs or errors.
  2. All liens must be released, if there is a lien listed on your title, it must be signed off on the title, or you must provide a separate lien release document.
  3. You must sign as the seller per our title instructions. These instructions are sent to you after you complete our donation process and are included in your Thank You Letter from your charity. Or please choose your state from the dropdown below:

My name has changed since the car has been titled. How do I sign?

You must sign the title with your name as it is shown on the front of the title. If you do not, the title will be void and you may need a correction form or duplicate title.

My title is signed over to someone else. Can I cross it off and write in Advanced Remarketing Services? Or use the next section?

No, if you do this your title will become void. Unless you are a licensed dealer, you must transfer the title into your name. Once a title is issued in your name we can then proceed with your donation. Please contact us and we will happily advise you on how to obtain the documents necessary to complete your car donation.

There are 2 people listed on the title, do both of us need to sign?

Yes. If there are 2 owners listed on the front of a title, the majority of the time, both people will need to sign as the seller. If there is an ‘or’ in between the names, typically only 1 signature is required. Check your state title instructions from the links below for your specific state.

The title is in a deceased person’s name. How do I complete the transfer of title?

Different states require different paperwork. Usually, this involves a copy of the death certificate, executor rights paperwork, and the signed title. Please call us at 1-877-957-2277 to confirm what is needed in your state.

I made a mistake/error on my title. What do I do next?

Stop! Do not cross out or write over the error. Please call us at 1-877-957-2277 or email our specialists at titles@cardonationwizard.com and they will guide you in the right direction.

What if my car’s registration isn’t current?

Most states do not require your registration to be current. So long as you have the most current title you are able to donate; however, in the state of Oklahoma, your registration must be current in order for us to accept your donation.

More questions?

Feel free to call 1-877-957-2277 or email us titles@cardonationwizard.com.

Release of Liability Information

Do I have to notify the DMV about my car donation?

These states require the donor/owner of the vehicle to fill out and submit a Release of Liability form after your car has been picked up: Alaska, California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Illinois, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Washington. The tow driver or program vendor cannot report this to the state on your behalf. Failure to submit these forms will result in fines from your state.

When should I cancel my insurance?

You should cancel your car insurance after the vehicle has been picked up. Please do this AFTER you have notified your state that you donated a vehicle.

Should I remove my license plates?

It depends on the state. The confirmation email that you received after you submitted your donation will specify your state’s policies. Click here to find your state’s license plate return policy.